Monday, June 23, 2008

Lighthouse in Marken

Lighthouse in MarkenLast Friday I managed to get to Marken in North Holland. Marken is a former island now connected to the mainland by a causeway. Its main attraction is the traditional Dutch houses in this little town but I was interested to see the lighthouse. It is called Paard van Marken and it looks very nice.

Cars aren't allowed there, so it's about 2km walk (or bicycle ride) from the car parking. I was there around 10 pm, right after the sun went behind horizon. The sky was still painted in nice sunset pink hues, but unfortunately it was right behind me when I photographed the lighthouse. So for the next time I need to get there before sunset. That way I will also get some time to visit the village of Marken :)

The weather was windy, so it wasn't very easy to avoid camera shake despite the tripod. Simple workaround helped though - I holded my jacket just like wings, so most pictures came out sharp.

The lighthouse is automated and people living in the house attached to the lighthouse aren't lighthouse keepers! They maintain the website www.thijsvandetoren.nl (check "fotos").

---------

No comments: