Monday, January 21, 2008

Selling photo prints

I was thinking for some time already about selling a part of my work as fine art prints. While I focus mainly on stock photography, I am making some pictures that I consider myself "artistic".

I knew about two possibilities so far: DeviantArt and CafePress. The former didn't make a very good impression and I am not sure if it's worth spending my time. The latter is mainly for souvenir items like mags and t-shirts, and they don't produce a good quality matted fine art prints.

I've made a mini-research in the last few days to see what other photographers are doing, besides selling directly from their personal website, and I discovered imagekind. The first impression is quite positive, and I will give it a try.

There are various free and paid options for imagekind accounts. I will start with a free one to see how it works - upgrade is always possible later.

The artist can define several galleries for his online portfolio (only one gallery allowed in free account), and the look of every picture can be customized by selecting default frame and passepartout (which buyer can still change when making a purchase).

The only thing that worries me a little is whether the inkjet prints are really as good and professional as chemical ones - imagekind ia making inkjet prints only.

Indeed the other question is whether I will succeed getting customers there, but this is not something that really worries me - I am just giving it a try at this point.

---------

No comments: